Sunday, April 15, 2018

A Journey



For many years now, I have been on a journey in my role as a teacher.  

A journey to create safe spaces where students feel comfortable to be themselves, and share their stories.  


A journey to help foster a culture of risk taking and creativity.  


A journey to create communities of critical thinkers and problem solvers, whose voices are heard and valued.


A journey to help students follow their passions, to be creators over consumers of content.


When I asked students to write down a question they wanted to explore or something they wanted to DO this year, I wrote down that I wanted to start a blog about education.  So, here I go, I’m diving in, I’m taking the risk, just as I encourage and hope to empower my students to do everyday.


This year I attended the roll out of the enhanced TRC Social Studies and History Curriculum.  We were fortunate enough to listen to elder Peter Schuler from the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation open and close our sessions.  He shared something that really stuck with me, and connected with what I aim to do everyday in my classroom and in my school.


“...plant the seeds, even though we might not be there to see how big the tree will grow”
-Peter Schuler

No comments:

Post a Comment